This full time position located at our Getzville office. The hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm with overtime as applicable.
The Coder is responsible for a variety of technical functions that requires critical thinking and problem solving skills. The coder is responsible for providing coding services for multiple locations and multiple specialties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assigns CPT procedure codes for clinician services to assure appropriate billing and reimbursement.
- Assigns diagnostic (ICD-9-CM/ICD-10 and/or procedural codes (ICD-9-CM/ICD-10 & CPT) on all medical record types at an advanced level to ensure proper reimbursement and accurate data base information.
- Assigns modifiers to codes.
- Input charges for all urgent care and clinic centers on a daily basis.
- Obtain insurance referrals and verify insurance coverage on a daily basis.
- File claims to the appropriate insurance company on a daily basis.
- Post all copayments and self-pay payments and reconcile on a daily basis.
- Send refunds to both patient and insurance carrier if there is an overpayment.
- Reviews charts and provides one-to-one and group educational feedback to the clinicians.
- Interacts with clinician and other clinic/corporate departments to assure compliance and appropriate billing practices.
- Gather data and prepare information/reports as requested by management.
- Handle billing correspondence.
- Maintains confidentiality in all aspects of the job.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Completion of accredited coding program (Certified Coding Specialist or Certified Professional Coder)
- Certified coder through AHIMA, AAPC, PMI or equivalent
- Associate degree preferred, High School diploma required.
- Minimum 3 years specialty billing/coding in the area of internal medicine, family medicine and/or emergency medicine.
- Ability/knowledge to code multiple specialties.
- Working knowledge of E&M coding
- Knowledge of patient insurances. Ability to provide instruction to the patients and their families regarding insurance coverage procedures.
- Ability to perform standard office procedures according to established protocols.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experienced and comfortable providing education to providers one on one and in group setting on a frequent basis and work with the providers to optimize their billing.
- Knowledge of and ability to use computer systems and other office equipment.
- PC skills, with emphasis on Windows applications, and ability to use a mouse.
- Keyboarding/data entry skills.
- Ability to perform detail-oriented work.
- Thorough knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology and disease process.
- Ability to work independently yet in conjunction with a team.
- Ability to adapt to a changing and growing atmosphere.
- Good time management and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of medical reimbursement methodologies.
- Ability to speak in a group setting. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Courteous and professional demeanor.
- Willingness to work as a team player to meet common goals of the department.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and composure when handling difficult clients/stressful situations.
- Promote positive department morale through effective teamwork.
- The employee must have the ability to work overtime hours when necessary.
- Willingness to learn new skills and help in different areas.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS
- Job performed in a well-lighted, modern office setting.
- Occasional travel
- Occasional lifting/carrying (10 pounds or less)
- Occasional standing/bending
- Moderate to high stress level
- Prolonged sitting
- Prolonged computer/PC work
- Prolonged telephone use
This position may require manual dexterity and/or frequent use of the computer, telephone, 10-key, calculator, office machines (copier, scanner, fax) and/or the ability to perform repetitive motions and/or meet production standards to comply with the essential functions. Also, may require physical and/or mental stamina to work overtime, additional hours beyond a regular schedule and/or more than five days per week.
Cooperative, positive, courteous and professional behavior and conduct is an essential function of every position. All employees must be able to work with others beyond giving and receiving instructions. This includes getting along with co-workers, peers and management without exhibiting behavior extremes. Job functions may require personal leadership skills such as conflict resolution, negotiating, instructing, persuading, speaking with others as well as responding appropriately to job performance feedback from the supervisor. Additionally, the information contained in this job description has been designated to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.
The information contained in this job description has been designated to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.
Resumes to Deb_carella@teamhealth.com or fax to 865-560-8977